MAD (Mindie, Adam, Alex, David) Family Fun is the result of friends and family asking "How do you find so much fun stuff to do?" So, I decided to share with everyone! There are no BIG secrets involved, I promise. I just have a knack for finding fun and now I want to share it with you!

MAD Family Fun is a place to find activities, events and ideas to have more fun with your family. Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

St. Patrick's Day traditions

You don’t have to be Irish to enjoy St. Patrick’s Day! At our house we have lots of fun with this holiday. My husband, who is a wonderful cook, usually whips up a traditional dish, and I as the mom add the “magic” to the day. We usually decorate with shamrock garland and leprechauns, but it doesn’t stop there. We have a St. Patrick’s Day tradition…the visiting of the leprechaun.

A few days before St. Patrick’s Day, the leprechaun, starts to leave clues. Like green water in the toilet. I just added a few drops of green food coloring. My son actually got mad at this one, because he said “the leprechaun needs to flush when he is done” LOL!!! But it all leads up to trying to catch the leprechaun.



We used a coffee can, but you could use anything, like a tissue box. We covered it in green construction paper and decorated to look like a “nice place for a leprechaun to rest.” We put a hole in the lid and a rock we covered in gold glitter inside. Our son checked it every morning in hopes of catching a leprechaun. On St Patrick’s Day my son was rewarded not with a leprechaun but a nice chocolate gold coin, which you can get at most grocery stores. He was beyond thrilled and started planning next years capture right away! LOL

So have some fun, add some magic to life, and make your own traditions. Because trust me, when the water turns green in the toilet, my son KNOWS the leprechauns are back!

No comments:

Post a Comment