MAD (Mindie, Adam, Alex, David) Family Fun is the result of friends and family asking "How do you find so much fun stuff to do?" So, I decided to share with everyone! There are no BIG secrets involved, I promise. I just have a knack for finding fun and now I want to share it with you!

MAD Family Fun is a place to find activities, events and ideas to have more fun with your family. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hidden Gems in your own backyard!


We have lived in our area for just over 8 years now. Today we visited an amazing place so close to home, yet we never knew it was there! We found out about this place while attending another event and I am so glad we did. What is this magical place you might ask? Well I’ll tell you, it is Critchlow Alligator Sanctuary!!!


We had met the owner at the before mentioned event, where he had brought some of his alligators for the kids to learn about. Mr. Critchlow’s wonderful personality enchanted our son so much, he talked about him for weeks. I had picked up the sanctuary’s business card at the event, so when our son said he wanted to have “the best day ever,” I pulled it out and said, let’s go!

Not only did we get to see alligators, turtles, snakes and lizards, but we all got to HOLD baby alligators! Mr. C as he is called, was educational and entertaining. I just want to say, he is amazing with kids.










We also got to go out to the “greenhouse” and see the bigger alligators (3 ft and up.) Mr. C taught our son how to call alligators and even let him feed them!

I know only some of you are from Michigan and even fewer of you live close by, but if you are ever near Athens, it is well worth the money (which was only $3 a person during the winter months) to stop at the sanctuary. So why am I telling you all this?

Because we all have hidden gems in our backyards! It is amazing how having fun can lead to more fun. One event opens the door to another adventure. So keep your eyes and ears open. Talk to strangers! LOL Who knows what wonderful hidden gems you might find!

And I just want to add, we can’t wait to go back this summer because not only do they have the cool Mr. C and his awesome animals, they have mini golf too!

No comments:

Post a Comment