May 23 is World Turtle Day!
World Turtle Day was founded in 1990 by the American Tortoise Rescue. World Turtle Day is an annual observance to help people celebrate and protect turtles and tortoises and their disappearing habitats. You can find lots of interesting and educational information (as well as giveaways in honor of the day) on the World Turtle Day facebook page.
What can you do to help?
• Never buy a turtle or tortoise from a pet shop as it increases demand from the wild.
• Never remove turtles or tortoises from the wild unless they are sick or injured.
• If a tortoise is crossing a busy street, pick it up and send it in the same direction it was going – if you try to make it go back, it will turn right around again.
• Report cruelty or illegal sales of turtles and tortoises to your local animal control shelter.
• Report the sale of any turtle or tortoise of any kind less than four inches. This is illegal throughout the U.S.
|Every year during Reptile Weekend at our local zoo visitors get a chance to get up close with Al. It is an amazing chance for children to fall in love and we all know you save what you love.|