MAD (Mindie, Adam, Alex, David) Family Fun is the result of friends and family asking "How do you find so much fun stuff to do?" So, I decided to share with everyone! There are no BIG secrets involved, I promise. I just have a knack for finding fun and now I want to share it with you!

MAD Family Fun is a place to find activities, events and ideas to have more fun with your family. Enjoy!

Friday, October 5, 2012

Homemade pet treats



Recently I came across an article in the Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine with a recipe to make cat treats. They sounded simple to make, so I decided, why not give it a try.

3/4 cup flour
1 can (5oz) tuna in water
2 tbsp canned puree pumpkin
1 tsp dried catnip

Combine all the ingredients and mix till it becomes a dough. Now the recipe called for pinching off bite size pieces with floured hands, but I found it much simpler and faster to make "logs" out of the dough and use a pair of scissors to make the bite size bits. These bits were then put on a greased cookie sheet and baked at 350 degrees for around 20 minutes. And after they were done cooling, I stored them in an air tight container in the fridge.

The pumpkin in these treats is great for helping with hairballs in cats. Our male cat turned his nose up at the treats, but then again he turns his nose up at most things. Our female cats was very interested in them. Then I thought, I have so many (as I made a double batch), I wounder if they would be okay for the dog. Not only are they okay but also very healthy for him too. Did you know the effect of catnip on dogs includes helping with nervousness and soothing troubled tummies!?!?!

Why not whip up a (single) batch for your furry friend, be they cat or dog!


No comments:

Post a Comment