MAD (Mindie, Adam, Alex, David) Family Fun is the result of friends and family asking "How do you find so much fun stuff to do?" So, I decided to share with everyone! There are no BIG secrets involved, I promise. I just have a knack for finding fun and now I want to share it with you!

MAD Family Fun is a place to find activities, events and ideas to have more fun with your family. Enjoy!

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Go down under......no not Australia!



Through out time there has always been something magical and mysterious about caves. I personally LOVE going in caves and have been in quite a few all over the country. I don't know what it is about caves, the beautiful formations, the wildlife, the adventure, but something draws me underground time and time again.

On a vacation to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan a few years back, we had a chance to take our son underground for the first time at the Iron Mountain Iron Mine. We suited up and road the mine train down. We toured the mine and got to see some bats! We had such a wonderful time and since then my son wants to go underground again. Sadly there are not many natural caves to visit in Michigan. And money is too tight to travel to say Mammoth Cave in Kentucky or Carlsbad Cavern in New Mexico. So how do I keep this burning interest alive in him?
 
Well thanks to the USGS web site I can not only keep his interest alive, but take it further then before. This site is jamed packed with all sorts of wonderful nuggets of information, mounds of entertainment, and vast chambers of activities. Okay, I'll stop with the attempt at cave humor. But honestly, this site offers more then you can dream of! It has everything you would want and need to teach a child all about caves. Check it out!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment